Ebola Outbreak Closes Liberian Borders
Liberian borders are being closed, communities are facing quarantine, and Nigeria's largest airline is suspending flights to stop the spread of the deadly Ebola outbreak. It's the world's most deadly outbreak of Ebola on record, having taken 660 people since February in West Africa.
The BBC reports the facts below about Ebola:
- Symptoms include high fever, bleeding and central nervous system damage
- Fatality rate can reach 90%
- Incubation period is two to 21 days
- There is no vaccine or cure
- Supportive care such as rehydrating patients who have diarrhea and vomiting can help recovery
- Fruit bats are considered to be virus' natural host
Doctors and volunteers face a significant risk. A prominent Liberian doctor has already died of the outbreak, and two US aid workers are being treated for Ebola, including the medical director of Samaritan's Purses's two treatment centers in Liberia. Please help spread awareness and pray for everyone affected.
For more about the outbreak, please see the articles below.